On Friday, 1 May, Fresno City Manager Wilma Quan issued Emergency Order 2020-16. This order supersedes prior orders, including the order issued 10 April. The new order is effective at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, May 7, (just after midnight Wednesday evening) and will remain in effect through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, May 31, 2020.
This order is largely similar to the prior Emergency Order, with the following changes:
- The use of facial coverings is required when visiting businesses and public places, except for children under age two or those with a preventive medical condition. (3.3)
- City parks are to be closed the weekends of Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. (18.104.22.168)
- The category “authorized businesses” is added to “essential businesses” and “non-essential businesses.” Authorized businesses are those which are not essential but which are “still important to the economic and social well-being of the community.” (2.2)
While there are not yet specific details on what constitutes an authorized business, the City of Fresno will provide a phased plan for authorized businesses to begin reopening. The first phases will allow low- and lower-risk businesses to reopen, and later phases will allow higher-risk businesses to reopen.
In order to reopen, authorized businesses will be required to comply with Social Distancing Protocol outlined in 3.6 (section 2.5 in the previous order). This includes:
- Limiting the number of people in the facility (3.6.1)
- Marking six-foot increments where individuals form lines (3.6.2)
- Providing hand-sanitizer or soap/water near entrances and throughout the facility (3.6.3)
- Providing contactless payment systems or disinfecting devices after each use (3.6.4)
- Disinfecting high-touch surfaces regularly (3.6.5)
- Screening employees and visitors, but not customers, as directed by Fresno County (3.6.6)
- Requiring employees to wear protective facial coverings (3.6.7)
Additionally, authorized businesses must post their social distancing protocol, using Appendix A (or something similar), before they will be certified and authorized to reopen. This posting must be at least 11×17 inches.